Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Bush as Uniter? Ha!

Bush has granted many interviews on the eve of an inauguration that will have 11 gala balls despite a necessary war in Afghanistan, a chicken hawk-procured one for manufactured reasons in Iraq (that has become a necessary war, something John Kerry failed to articulate), a massive deficit run up by the current administration, and massive suffering due to the tsunami.

This is from cnn.com: "I have a responsibility to try to unite this country to achieve big things for all Americans," Bush told ABC News. "I will say that in my inaugural address. I'm looking forward to the challenge."

Look closely at the phrase “try to unite this country.” Bush ran in 2000 saying he was “a uniter, not a divider,” and then proceeded to divide this country in every way he could for the purpose of political gain. In 2000 he was a uniter, from 2001-2005 he was a divider, and now he’s back to being a uniter again? I’m sorry, but forgive me if I don’t buy it. Before I do, I need to see him work with Democrats instead of spitting in their faces. I need to see him care about people who disagree with him instead of deriding them as “unpatriotic.” I need to see him reach out to working-class and middle-class people, instead of paying them lip service that his tax cuts benefit them most of all.

Dividing the country might have won him an election (for real, this time), but to do so for 4 long years and then turn around and suddenly say he’s going to unite this country…it makes me wonder why he didn’t bother trying in the first place. He could have won the election and actually be respected by more than just his rabid Red-State followers. I don’t buy it, and I am angry that no one has been able to call him on it.
« Liberal Blogs » Blogroll Me! Blogarama - The Blog Directory